Love Your Leaves - Rocket
This week in our Love Your Leaves series we are looking at rocket, a fabulous hot and peppery leaf to, ideal for spicing up your salads. According to Delia Smith, we have been using rocket in our salads since Elizabethan times! Rocket, also known as arugula, rucola or roquette is low in calories and high in vitamin A and C. It is an excellent source of vitamin K as 100 g provides about 90% of your daily recommended intake. As well as vitamins, rocket is also packed with essential disease-fighting nutrients, including lots of phytochemicals which can help protect against prostate, breast, cervical, colon and ovarian cancers. It is also high in folates and a good source of iron.
Recipes to tempt you to try rocket this week:
- So simple, just four ingredients, why not try this Rick Stein recipe of cherry tomatoes and rocket - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cherrytomatoandrocke_149
- A warm onion, pancetta and rocket salad from Jamie Oliver - http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/scrummy-warm-rocket-salad/#BURdb0KbM4eFa6tR.97
- If you are trying to convert a dedicated meat eater to the joys of salad, why not try this recipe from Delia which combines steak with rocket to make a tasty Thai salad http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/asian/thai/thai-grilled-beef-salad-with-grapes.html
- This American recipe calls for pumpkin but any squash would work well - http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28713/pumpkin+rocket+salad
- Try this classic combination of pears and walnuts with rocket in this delicious and nutritious salad http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Healthy+25/Pear-rocket-walnut-and-parmesan-salad-recipe+1824.htm
Again let me know on my Facebook page how you get on with these recipes. Next week we take a look at watercress – a really remarkable leaf.