10 top tips to make your Mexican food healthier
Mexican food is becoming more popular in the UK and although it doesn't tend be a cuisine we take-away I thought I’d include it in my blog on different types of food as we do have lots of restaurants in the Reading area. Dripping in high fat sauces and melted cheese, Mexican food can be a minefield for those wanting to eat healthily, but try some of my 10 top tips to make your Mexican food healthier and you could reduce the amount calories and fat you consume:
- Many dishes come covered in sour cream, guacamole and cheese. Try to look for options that don’t or ask for the sauces to be kept separate so you add just a little.
- Don’t be tempted to add extra chips with your meal
- Go for options that come with salsa rather than soured cream
- Nachos, cheese and dips could set you back over 300 calories so skip them if you can
- Order salads without the cheese and don’t eat the fried taco shell they often come in or the accompanying nachos
- Go for chicken or fish dishes rather than meat and look for options that are grilled or baked instead of fried.
- Corn or floured tortillas are a good choice as they are low in fat and haven’t been fried
- Choose dishes which come with lots of vegetables.
- Watch how much rice and refried beans you eat with your meal as these can really add on the calories
- Limit your consumption of high calorie drinks such as margaritas!
Now, as Christmas is just around the corner, I thought I wouldn't wait till next week to share some Mexican recipes with your. After all we will all be tucking into our Boxing Day feasts! So instead I thought I would share them with you today. So if you want a change from festive fare, and go Mexican over the next few days, why not try these recipes:
- Such a classic, chicken fajitas - try this version http://www.jamieoliver.com/us/foundation/jamies-food-revolution/recipes/CHICKEN_FAJITAS
- A great recipe when you want the hit of those mexican flavours but without all the calories, try making this Mexican soup http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8835/mexican-soup-with-chicken
- Make refried beans at home and get all the flavour and a lot less of the calories. Try this recipe http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/659025
- If you are a quesadilla fan you might enjoy this chicken version http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-chicken-quesadillas-50400000118565/
- Or try this vegetarian one http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/725645/refried-bean-quesadillas
For tips on cooking healthy Mexican food Mexican visit the BBC Good Food website